Sunday, March 9, 2008

I Yam What I Yam (Apologies to Popeye)



Believe it or not, I'm not a Democrat.

If you've been reading this blog occasionally, hopping in to grab a live show or two, you've seen my political rantings and ravings. Maybe read one or two. And thank you for taking the time if you did.

But you may have left with the mistaken impression that I'm a Big-Capital-Freaking-D "Democrat." Which I ain't.

In my deep, raging heart, I am an anarchist. Of the worst kind. I despise all rules, all order, all structure that seeks to contain and restrain the human heart, mind and imagination - whatever you like to call that motivating energy that makes us human.

Please note that I choose not to mention soul or spirit here because I do not enjoy the religious connotations each word is subject to. As an atheist, I do not believe in any kind of everlasting immortal non-corporeal element to the human condition. We are born - we die - and in-between we tend to suffer a lot. That's it, folks. Nothing more. And that's precisely why we have to do all we can while we are alive to make this beautiful but nasty world a better place to live in, for us and for all who come after us. Anything else is pure dirt mean selfishness.

Given the above, I am still placing myself squarely in support of a Democratic Presidential candidate this year. And only one. Barack Obama can help us change the world. And it needs changing. He can't do it alone and his supporters know this. Regardless of how right-wing pundits and other Democratic candidates disparage him and us, we understand that his "inspiring words" really are just words - until we make them more, until we use them to change the world. I for one am looking forward to that. There's a whole lot that needs a-changin'.

6 comments:

bob said...

ok

gomonkeygo said...

all right. what's next?

Anonymous said...

We'll see how well we all like the massive increase in those rules you don't like if Obama gets in charge.
Velvetbob

gomonkeygo said...

Ok, quoting "bob" above.

But, Velvetbob, did you read the part where I say I'm ready to put my own biases aside for the better good of the nation? Because that's what I'm saying in that final paragraph. And if I can do that, raging weirdo anarchist that I am, certainly others far more sane and sensible than myself can too.

I'd like to know, though, what rules you are referring to, unless you mean reining back in the out of control free market by reinstating some of the regulations that were thrown out the window a while ago and led us to this economic cesspool of an economy, I don't know what they are.

Me, I'm not aware of any massive imposition of "rules" that an Obama presidency would present. Are you? Besides the paranoid conspiratorial mutterings of the freepers and their ilk?

If anything, I expect a hope for and expect a decrease in "rules" - especially those imposed by the co-dictators Bush and Cheney via their heinous and inexcusable spying on and curtailing of the liberties of American citizens in the name of "freedom," which is a word always used in quotes by them when they say it, as though it's a foreign word and something we have to be afraid of.

Don't be afraid, Velvetbob. The future is coming, relentlessly, and it requires change. Try to give it a chance. They kept saying that we need to give Bush a chance. I heard it so many times I wanted to vomit. Trying some other guy with actually different ideas might not be a bad idea, as opposed to just continuing the same bad ones.

Thanks for stopping by and for the comment. I needed to vent! Have a good one.

Anonymous said...

The man
Of virtuous soul commands not nor obeys.
Power, like a desolating pestilence,
Pollutes whate'er it touches: and obedience,
Bane of all genius, virtue, freedom, truth,
Makes slaves of men, and of the human frame,
A mechanized automan.

Shelley, Queen Mab, with respect from Dave Sez

Anonymous said...

Duh, automaton.

Sorry, Dave Sez.