Thursday, June 11, 2009

What Pro-Life Really Means

A challenge to all Pro-Life readers of this and any blog. (Do I have any pro-life readers? Do I have any readers? Hmmm...)

Put your money where your mouth is or shut the frack up!


If you are truly "pro-life" then get on the phone and call your Senator and your Representatives and tell them how much you want universal health care in the United States of America.

Why? Because real live adult human being people are dying because they can't get medical coverage because they can't get insurance because they don't have money because the system only gives a damn about profit because for too damn long we've let the insurance companies and medical institutions tell us what's good for us because it's been good for their profits.

And, if you really are "pro-life" then you cannot deny life or the option of life to another human being who's already alive while you fight for the rights of an unborn fetus.

I know, you're speaking for those who cannot speak for themselves. Been there myself, sirs or madams. Volunteered for years speaking for the voiceless abused and neglected in court. But the people without decent medical coverage in this nation are as nearly voiceless because they are without power and money and access to media. Unlike our dear Senators and Representatives and Insurance Buddies and Doctor Friends (I'm looking at you, AMA!).

You have your bully pulpits, sometimes quite literally. Use them for the benefit of all, not just a select few.

Or shut the frack up. Because if you don't, you don't have a moral or ethical leg to base your "pro-life" arguments on. Because they are totally arbitrary and a-moral, in that you choose whom to give "life" to. Not what Jesus would do at all, friends, not at all.

This rant brought to you by "Coffee!!!" and was inspired by THIS diary.

4 comments:

Ed said...

I'd like to know how many unwanted children those "Pro-Life" people have adopted. If the answer is "zero", then they have absolutely zero credibility.

gomonkeygo said...

I know only one "Pro-Lifer" who tried to adopt a child - one from Haiti - but was stymied by legal problems. On the other hand, I know multiple "Pro-Choice" couples that have adopted children, albeit again from other countries.

I'm very glad that children from other countries have the opportunity to become part of loving families in this country, but there's a part of me that wants to scream whenever I hear about it. There are many hundreds of thousands of adoptable children right now in the United States desperate for loving parents and stable homes. I'd love to see those couples looking overseas for children turn their focus inward. The rewards will be the same for all involved.

Ed said...

I was under the impression that the reason so many people go out of the country to adopt is that it's too difficult, or maybe too expensive, to adopt children in this country. I guess I'm not sure about that, though.

gomonkeygo said...

I know one couple that have adopted two Chinese girls. The expense was staggering. Part of the problem my friend who wanted to adopt a Haitian child faced was also expense, though they were willing to do it. Legal "issues" that were more about the fact she and her family were white finally ended the attempt.