Thursday, April 24, 2008

Weird Reasons to Vote for Obama #3



Lincoln's Birthday!

In 2009, we celebrate the bicentennial of the birth of our finest President, Abraham Lincoln. I'm very biased about this, having a tangled past professional work history with Old Abe, but I don't think you can point to a greater leader at a greater time of national turmoil and upheaval than Lincoln. FDR is second in my book. Sorry, Greatest Generation.

Who better to have as our 44th President than Barack Obama, the living validation of what Lincoln died for. If you don't think Lincoln died for our sins, as a nation, because of slavery, then you're a very bad, very ignorant person and I'd like to ask you to leave this blog immediately. Go on, now, shoo!

Is this "playing the race card"? I dunno. Not the way Bill Clinton has been and then been denying that he has been. Or the way the Republicans (with the silent consent of the Clinton campaign) are now doing in North Carolina. What it is, simply, is a statement of fact: Barack Obama will be the first black President of the United States of America, a nation once torn apart in bloodiest war over the enslavement of African-Americans. (And if you are a neo-Confederate who thinks the Civil War was NOT about slavery, follow that swinging door, please. You're neither wanted nor welcome here, I'm afraid.)

I'm looking forward with great pleasure and anticipation to the speech President Obama will give, from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial one would hope, on that morning of February 12, 2009. If you think he's given us some good words so far, just wait. In fact, I may start making my travel plans now. I think my family and I need to be there on that day.

Vote Obama!

----------------
Now playing: Magazine - Motorcade
via FoxyTunes

No comments: